Question:

Do you think psychologists working in learning disability and autism should have extra powers to decide if someone needs to be kept in hospital for mental health treatment?

Yes/No

Your Feedback:

63% (22 respondents) felt that psychologists working in learning disability and autism should have extra powers to decide if someone needs to be kept in hospital for mental health treatment. The remaining 37% (13 respondents) answered no.

Your Comments:

“Psychologists are notAMP’s for the simple reason, they do not have sufficient medical and pharmacological training to make such judgements and should continue to work in collaboration with AMP’s!”

 “Those with autism or have a learning disability who also have an addiction problem with alcohol, dangerous drugs and the over-consumption of Pharmaceutical drugs should be subject to the new law.”
“No. Any such change would amount to a violation of human rights. The questioin of whether anyone should be detained in hospital should be decided only by the courts after hearing all the evidence.”
“Change the law to make it compulsory to have two doctors present at a hearing that denies a person their freedom. No trainees allowed.”
 “Emphasis should be on providing support rather than control. There are sufficient powers of detention already in place.”
“These powers should be only used in an extreme situation and when parents/guardians show no interest”
“There are too many professions in the NHS diversifying into other professions territory, trying to be what they are not, trying to expand their authority, status and ego – the NHS needs specialists and not “jacks of all trades”